1. Does Landstar lease on expedited teams?
Yes, we have a variety of loads including team freight. Currently we are looking for AA&E Teams, as well as straight truck refrigerated teams with temperature validation (T-Val) experience.
2. What are the minimum requirements for expediters?
Landstar’s minimum requirements for expedited owner/operators are:
- 23 years of age
- Class A or B CDL with HazMat (H) or combination (X) endorsement.
- No more than two at-fault accidents and two motor vehicle violations within the previous 36 months, or no more than one at-fault accident and three motor vehicle violations during the previous 36 months. No involvement in a preventable DOT recordable accident in the past 12 months.
- No more than one serious violation as defined on Table 2 of section 383.51 of the FMCSR handbook within the previous 36 months prior to qualification.
- No railroad-highway grade crossing offenses as defined on Table 3 of section 383.51 of the FMCSR handbook within the previous 36 months prior to qualification.
- No citations or convictions for Reckless Driving or Careless Endangerment during the 36 month period prior to the order date of the MVR.
- No DUI charges during the 60 month period prior to the order of the MVR.
- Operators must have six months of verifiable over-the-road driving (including one season of snow and ice experience) within the past three years with a Class A CDL using the type of equipment similar to what you will be operating at Landstar.
- No felony convictions within the past 7 years. All other felony and misdemeanor charges are reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
- No positive drug or alcohol test including refusals and pre-employment results.
- No suspensions of more than 30 days for moving violations in the last 36 months.
- Provide and maintain proper levels and types of approved insurance during your lease with Landstar including:
- Unladen Liability and Occupational Accident coverage or, in some cases, statutory Workers’ Compensation coverage. If you do not participate in the Unladen Liability and/or CPP (Occupational Accident insurance) programs facilitated by Landstar, you must show comparable Unladen Liability coverage and/or Occupational Accident coverage through acceptable insurance carriers.
- If statutory Workers’ Compensation coverage is required and you do not participate in the Fleet Workers’ Compensation Plan (FWCP) program, coverage must be provided by licensed carriers with acceptable interstate coverage.
These are minimum operator qualification standards subject to DOT requirements, and Landstar may impose more stringent requirements at its option. The decision whether to qualify an operator will be made by Landstar in its sole discretion and on a case-by-case basis.
3. What are the minimum expedited equipment requirements?
- 10 foot of cargo space
- 48 inch wide, 48 inch high rear door opening
- Minimum cargo weight capacity of 2,500 lbs.
- Truck must pass a Level One DOT inspection through an approved Landstar inspection facility.
- B-unit (no sleeper berth required):
– Cargo space = 10 foot minimum and up to 14 feet
– Cargo weight capacity – 2,500 lbs. minimum and up to 5,000 lbs.
- C-unit (sleeper berth required):
– Cargo space = 12 foot minimum and up to 18 feet
– Cargo weight capacity – 5,001 lbs. minimum and up to 13,000 lbs.
- D-unit (sleeper berth required):
– Cargo space = greater than 18 feet
– Cargo weight capacity – greater than 13,001 lbs.
Note: Equipment must meet both space and weight minimums for classification. For example, if cargo space is 13 feet but cargo weight is only 3,500 lbs., the truck would fall into the B-unit category.